You've Got {Too Much} Email! - Challenge Update 8 | From Overwhelmed to Organized: You've Got {Too Much} Email! - Challenge Update 8

Monday, June 17, 2013

You've Got {Too Much} Email! - Challenge Update 8


How did you do this week in the "You've Got {Too Much} Email" challenge? I'm still loving that feeling of opening my inbox and not being as overwhelmed by the sheer volume of messages.  How about you?

If you're just joining in and you're not sure what this challenge is all about, you can click here to read all about it.

Every Monday evening I post my update on how many emails I deleted during that week.  So here is this week's update!




The spreadsheet's getting wider so I'm not sure if you can read the total for this week... I deleted 386 emails this week.

This week I went through my "Blog and Writing" folder to delete any emails I no longer needed.  In the end, I actually deleted the whole folder!

I started this folder before I started my gmail account that I use for the blog, so it's really not necessary anymore.  I pinned some of the ideas to my Social Media Tips and Ideas  board and my Blogging Tips board before I deleted the emails, since I refer to Pinterest for ideas more often than old emails.

I also went through a folder called "GE Stuff" and deleted a lot of old emails. This is a folder I used for emails from people I used to work with.  I still have more to go through in this folder, but it's coming along.

During this email purging challenge, I've been sharing tips from other bloggers for managing your inbox.

This week I'm sharing a link from Jessica at Life As Mom.  She compares cleaning out our email inbox to cleaning out our physical mailbox.  We wouldn't let it fill up, so why do we let our email inboxes become overwhelming?  Her post Clean Out Your Inbox:  My 7 Step Program To Email Success will help you deal with your email clutter and then maintain a cleaned out inbox.  Sounds great to me! 

I've included tips in the other update posts in this series, so if you've missed any, here's a full list.

Why delete emails, how the challenge works & free tracking sheet

More on how the challenge works & "Done is better than perfect"

Tips for deleting "Easy" emails

Tips for both the "project" phase of cleaning up your inbox and the "maintaining" phase

Challenge Update Week 4
Dealing with emails as they come into your inbox

Becoming an email "ninja"

Processing lots of emails efficiently

Challenge Update Week 7
How to Take Control of Your Email Inbox

Don't forget, you can still join this challenge at any time!  I'd love to help you declutter your inbox :)

If you haven't downloaded your free spreadsheet or free printable tracking chart, click the appropriate link to get yours and then jump in and start deleting!

I've decided that next week will be my last update for this challenge.  I probably won't be finished deleting all the emails I want to go through, but this will be an ongoing project and I think you've probably had enough of all these updates :)  
I will be starting a new challenge in July...  organizing photographs (printed and digital)!  More details next week.  I hope you'll join me so we can encourage each other!

So have you been deleting emails?  What's your motivation?  What kind of emails have you been deleting?

Share your tips and progress in the comments so we can all encourage each other!


Check out the Challenges tab to see the rest of the posts in the series!


I'm enjoying sharing this journey with you.  We're all in this together :)   Here's to a less overwhelming inbox!




I link up at these great parties - Check them out!