HTML Map

Thursday, January 17, 2013

Organizing My Linen Closet Part 2: The Full Reveal!


Yesterday I showed you how I organized the linens part of my linen closet.  If you didn't see that post, here's a look at what my linen closet looked like before I organized it.


Not too pretty.  And very chaotic!  I showed you yesterday how I organized the top two shelves that contain any linens that are not stored in bedrooms.

Today I'm going to show you how I organized the rest of the closet.  Here's a look at some more before pictures.


This is the toiletries shelf.  What a mess!!  I don't have a lot of space in our bathroom and all 4 of us share it, so extra bathroom items {things that aren't used regularly} get stored in this closet.

This shelf has definitely seen more organized days.  I usually go through this shelf every 6 months or so and I group the shampoos together, body wash bottles together, etc.  But it doesn't take long for things to just get tossed in anywhere.  It's become overwhelming again and I really need a better system to keep it organized.

I also keep a few cleaning supplies in this closet so I can do a quick clean as needed without having to go downstairs to get the rest of the supplies.  Gotta love that beautiful shower-cleaning-puff-on-a-stick thing in the closet too.  There's really nowhere else to store it upstairs so this closet is its home :)

Here's a look at the next shelf down.


This shelf is kind of an overflow area.  There are some off-season things like sunscreen as well as our "stockpile" for things we found great deals on.

There are some more cleaning supplies too.  And a fan.  Oh, and some old photo albums and pictures.  Of course.  Because a linen closet is a normal place to keep those isn't it?  :)  Sometimes things get put somewhere when you have space and then they just stay.  They kind of become part of the scenery and it doesn't even seem strange until you stop sometime and think about it {or take pictures of it!}.



Speaking of things that don't normally belong in a linen closet, on the floor of our closet is a bunch of my hubby's old sports card collection.  Why is it stored in our linen closet you ask?  Well, I'm not really sure, except that we don't really have any place else for it.  And it's really heavy stuff so the floor of this closet is a good place to keep it all without causing shelf to sag.

My hubby's hoping our son will get into sports cards soon so he can share his collection with him.  If not, he'll probably sell or give away some of it.  He sorted through it about a year ago and purged some of it then, so I just left it as it is right now. {I did move the Always pads and hair cutting supplies though!}

I mentioned yesterday that I took everything out of the closet so I could look at each item with fresh eyes and only put back what I really wanted to store in this closet.

Here's my relocate pile:


Definitely not items that need to be here!  I also moved 1 blanket into each of the kids' closets before I took this picture. And yep, that's me in that picture.  Wasn't I a cute kid? :)

This is my giveaway pile:


I purged a few toiletries I knew we wouldn't use.  And a bunch of sheets and some non-matching towels.  I'll be donating a few of these things but most items I gave away on Freecycle.  If you're looking for places to donate linens, there are also lots of shelters that can really use them.  

So are you ready to see what the rest of the closet looks like now that it's organized?  Here we go!



So simple looking compared to all that chaos before!  I really like having these items grouped in little baskets.  I used plastic baskets in case anything leaks.  Not quite as classy as the baskets I used for the other two shelves but more practical :)

The shelves are deep so there's space at the back for other items if needed.  But, the thing I love about this system is that if I do store anything back there, it will be easy to access because I can just pull the baskets forward.  No more bottles falling over when I reach for something at the back of the shelf!

Here's the shelf that used to be our overflow shelf.


I say "used to be" because it's practically empty now!  These 3 things can even fit behind those baskets on the shelf above.  I just put them here since the shelf was completely empty.

So where did all the toiletries go that used to be on these two shelves?  That's my secret weapon that I mentioned at the end of yesterday's post :)

Check it out!


Look at how many toiletry items I fit into these pockets!


Those of you who follow From Overwhelmed To Organized on Facebook know that I was searching earlier this week for an over-the-door shoe organizer.

I really wanted to make use of the vertical space on the back of the door.  Every other closet in our house has sliding doors which means I can't use this kind of organizer.  So I was even more determined to put one to use here.

When I couldn't find one I vented on Facebook :)  I'm so glad I did because several of you shared great ideas for where I could look.  And thanks to one lovely reader I was able to get one at Canadian Tire the next day.  It was the last one!  Thanks everyone :)



I'm so excited about all the space it freed up on the shelves!  That was one of my goals for this project.  Check!

I also wanted to have a system for this closet that would help us keep it organized rather than seeing the chaos return in a few weeks or months as things are added or removed from the shelves.  Another check!  The pockets and baskets will definitely help keep everything organized.

And I printed labels for all the baskets so everyone else in the family can put things back where they belong.  I didn't label the clear pockets since we can see what's inside anyway.  Plus this way we can move things around as our needs change.


It's hard to get a good picture of the whole closet because of where it is in our hallway.  Here's a view from the other angle.



I've walked by this closet several times in the last few days and just smiled.  I didn't even have to open the door... I just pictured how organized it was inside and did a little happy dance :)

If you've got a linen closet or bathroom closet that's in need of some organization, I highly recommend shoe organizers and baskets!

What are your tips for keeping your linen closet organized?  Where is the best place you've used an over-the-door organizer?

Happy organizing!





I link up at these great parties - Check them out!

45 comments:

  1. I love those over-the-door shoe holders ... unfortunately, all of our closets have bi-fold doors, so we can't use them. They make such great sense for capturing the little things though. Your linen closet is an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura! I love them too and this is the only closet I can use one on too. Just have to get creative in the other ones right?!

      Delete
  2. I do the same thing for my toiletries! We have no storage in our tiny rental bathroom, so I put one of those on the back of the door. Tons of storage space!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea to use one on a bathroom door Katherine! Love the space they provide.

      Delete
  3. Looks great Hilda! I'm envious - no linen closets here :( (well ok, in dad's area there's one but its his)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Helen! Good thing about not having a linen closet is you don't get the clutter that often collects in one :)

      Delete
  4. You did a fantastic job! Love the bins, the door organizer was a brilliant idea, and the labels are just the perfect thing to keep everything where it belongs. You've inspired me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda! Glad to inspire :) Congratulations on winning a prize in the New Year's Organizing Challenge! Loved your post.

      Delete
  5. Love, love, love the shoe organizer idea! I can't wait to get one and put it to use in my linen closet!

    Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll love how much space it creates Elaine!

      Delete
  6. I can't believe the difference - I have a linen closet like this and I never thought of using a shoe organizer on the door - I sure am going to do that now!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really happy with the difference too TJ! Have fun organizing your closet :)

      Delete
  7. Hi Lovely, I'm your new follower from Blog Hop.
    Love your awesome blog. Feel free to check out & follow my blog @ www.revampspunkyrena.com
    xoxo
    Rena

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for following Rena! Your blog is great... love that earring storage system. Following you on FB so I can get to know you more.

      Delete
  8. What a great post! I would love for you to share this or any of your great ideas at the link party going on now (and every Saturday through Tuesday) at 'Or so she says ...' Hope to see you there! www.oneshetwoshe.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mariel! I'll link up next time. Following you on FB so I don't forget :)

      Delete
  9. AWESOME! I saw your thumbnail at a linky party and had to come see this post. I love the shoe holder idea to make more room. I am so doing this for my bathroom closet. My linen closet needs a lot help too! I've pinned this. I am a new follower!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diana you'll love the shoe organizers. I can't believe how much I could fit in this one and it's so easy to find what I need. Have fun using them in your closets!

      Delete
  10. Great job! Thanks for sharing it at my Twirl & Take a Bow party. Have a great week.
    Leslie
    House on the Way

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Leslie. Great party! Have a great week yourself :)

      Delete
  11. Stopping in from creative spark... Love this idea too but can't find one of these anywhere

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had trouble finding one at first too Jodi. Seems like I see them a lot when I don't need them and then can't find one when I do :) Here's a link to a FB post where lots of people gave suggestions for where to look: https://www.facebook.com/327713983974380/posts/411743868904724 Hope that helps!

      Delete
  12. Great organizing tips! I love before and after pics, they are so motivating! :) I have a new Pinterest party and would love to have you share this if you have a chance!

    http://www.thetaylor-house.com/2013/01/24/pinterest-power-party-3.html

    Thanks!
    Chrissy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chrissy! Glad to help motivate :) Thanks for the invite to your pinterest party. I am heading over now.

      Delete
  13. You did a great job on this one, Hilda. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have a closet that could definitely use a treatment like this...thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Steph! Have fun organizing your closet. You'll love all that extra space :)

      Delete
  15. Hi! I’m new follower of your blog and would like to invite you to join me at my weekly Clever Chicks Blog Hop: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2013/01/clever-chicks-blog-hop-19-hog-wash_27.html





    I hope you can make it!

    Cheers,

    Kathy Shea Mormino

    The Chicken Chick

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for following Kathy and for the invite to your party. I just checked out this week's party and there are TONS of great links! I look forward to getting to know you.

      Delete
  16. Hi Hilda, I'm so inspired! I have two of these closets that need the makeover. Thanks for the suggestions and thanks for linking up at Transformed Tuesday. Hugs, Peggy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to inspire Peggy! Hope the ideas help you with your closets!

      Delete
  17. Wow! What a HUGE difference. I am thinking I should get to work on some of my own closets now. The organizer on the back of the door is such a smart idea. Thanks for linking up to the Point of View party! I hope you'll join in the fun next month as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll love having organized closets Jonie Marie!

      Delete
  18. Totally love over the door shoe organizers. I think I have one in almost every room. What a huge difference. It looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Leanne! I got the idea from you :)

      Delete
  19. Love the clear pockets and how everything has a place. I need to go through my entire house and do this.
    xoxo,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy! I've got a few more doors I'm looking at doing this for too.

      Delete
  20. It looks great! I especially love that you ended up with a practically empty shelf - very refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Yvonne! I love that part too. I've already filled that shelf with bathroom items but I'm glad to have a bathroom that's less cluttered :)

      Delete
  21. Ah, as you know I love that over the door shoe organizer! Such a nifty idea!

    Thank you for participating in the Linky Home Organization Blog Hop.
    Sign up for our newsletter to stay in the loop of when the blog roundup will go live and come back and share the blog comment love to the others who’ve linked up. We all need a little love….:)
    http://eepurl.com/dih9A
    xoxo,
    Khloe

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hello, I really like your closet, but I have one question. Those tags where do you get them or what program do you use to print them.
    Thank you

    Very beautiful organization.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks milagros!

      I printed those labels from Better Homes and Gardes. They're free! Here's the link: http://www.bhg.com/decorating/storage/organization-basics/free-printable-storage-labels/#page=7

      Delete
  23. Love the over the door shoe organiser but I too have bi folds so nah. But wait, can I cut one up?????? Maybe, mmmmmmmmmm. Will go check one out and see if I can before I buy it.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers! This is a great place to ask questions, answer questions, and share your organizing tips. Thank you so much for commenting! I look forward to getting to know you better :)